Ashland is a beautiful city with bright, progressive active Women and Men who are involved in the wonderful lifestyle Ashland offers. Many of us are innovators, entrepreneurs and change makers. This is why when Keeping Ashland Women Safe’s Founder, Alaya Ketani decided to initiate a task force to address the violence against Women and increasing feelings of lack of safety that she knew collaboration and significant action would begin. Our Founder knows that all things are possible and set about the formation of K.A.W.S., and significant change has begun! K.A.W.S. is creating significant impact as the community of Ashland takes a stand against Violence and for Women’s safety, equality and empowerment.
K.A.W.S. is a task force comprised of concerned citizens who have come together to increase the awareness the realty of this violence and harassment in many forms, to influence legislature and the systems of plea bargaining, sentencing and terms, safety in the physical layout of areas in Ashland, freedom from harassment, stalking, sexual assault, rape and all violence, feelings of danger and all hindrances to equality and empowerment.
The mission of K.A.W.S. is to provide a platform for ongoing community awareness and action to create a template for culture change so that Ashland holds a no tolerance climate. This means the message “Not In My City” is loud and clear regarding violence against Women. This is viewed as a multi-pronged significant presence that requires both Women and Men to become involved in societal/cultural programming, accountability and consequences, legislation and budgeting, lack of reporting, misalignment with consent, and individual/community responsibility. K.A.W.S. truly stands for Keeping All Women Safe, Strong, and SuperPowered.
We are an Incorporated Registered 501c3 Nonprofit Organization, Ashland’s community task force and can only continue with participation and collaboration from the community as well as tax deductible donations. Please “Like” and follow our events, announcements and needs by checking back on this website and by clicking this link on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KeepingAshlandAnd AllWomenSafe/Alaya is available to visit your organization to speak about the mission and action of K.A.W.S
News and Events
Dr. Sabre Patton-Fee, MD and Alaya Ketani CHT CFT CPC of Keeping Ashland Women Safe, K.A.W.S. extend an invitation to turn our attention in 2021 towards healing by joining the “Speak True, Stand Firm” small group series beginning in February.
See the below left column for more information.
Dr. Sabre Patton-Fee, MD and
Alaya Ketani CHT CFT CPC of Keeping Ashland Women Safe, K.A.W.S., a 501c3 Nonprofit Organization, extend an invitation to turn our attention in 2021 towards healing by joining the “Speak True, Stand Firm” small group series.
Beginning in February, this series aims to engage us to mold our thoughts, words, and emotions into purpose for building true equity and combating racism, right here in Ashland. Women who are anti-racist allies, heads of households, and blossoming community leaders are welcome to participate. More details and registration are coming soon here, and our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KeepingAshlandWomenSafe
Self Defense and
Empowerment Training Coming!
This Event is Postponed Due to Covid-19, and the wildfires that have ravished Southern Oregon impacting an estimated 45,000 people. We look toward offering this important event in 2021. Please watch for the date.
This event is open to Women/Girls and Trans Women/Girls Everywhere.
Volunteers Needed for Sign In, Setup, Take Down. Free Entry.
(Click here to send an email to volunteer.)
- Gain the skills and empowerment for protecting yourself in threatening circumstances
- Find your voice, grounding, and empowerment
- Increase situational awareness and gain safety assessment skills
- Explore how to identify trustworthiness of an individual
- Practice physical defense for freedom
Our Trainer: Karin Pedersen, Martial Artist, Energy Coach, Women’s Empowerment Trainer.
- Energetic coach to world champion professional tennis player Martina Navratilova
- Two-time Graduate of Model Mugging, a program dedicated to teaching women physical, emotional and mental skills to gain freedom from attack
- Lifetime Practitioner of Aikido and Karate
- Mentored with Aikido Master Tom Crum for 15 years
- Mentored with Carlos Castaneda and the women of the Toltec for 2 years
- Mentored with Sente’ Center for 20 years
Four Partial or Full Scholarships will be given
(Email for application)
Thank you to our generous sponsors!
Please see the list of successful accomplishments below:
* Provided training to the staff of a very popular retail store where female shoppers were being extensively harassed by male shoppers. There are now fliers in the restrooms advising Women how to proceed if this is occurring.
* Worked with Jim Teece of Ashland Home Net for all in-home service representatives to have appropriate identification. Prior to this, there was no id on people entering customer homes.
* Advocated for and mentored countless Women who have experienced violation of numerous forms, in close communication with Chief O’Meara of Ashland Police, SART, Community Works, and other pertinent individuals and organizations.
*Events Have Included: Public Awareness with the Directors of several agencies, Deep Dialogue – Women and Men , Self Defense with Aaron Ortega, Balance of the Feminine and Masculine Within, Public Awareness/Silent Auction Holiday Party Fundraiser. Our Self Defense and Empowerment Training event was paused due to Covid and the fires, however we hope to offer it semi-annually starting in 2021.
A high priority for 2021 will be obtaining grants to continue our work and expand into specific segments of our population with important culture changing education and trainings.
As Founder and Executive Director, Alaya Ketani is the one who spearheads all that is done, and she is eager for more community participation.
We have volunteers as webmaster, Steve Wolfson, and graphics: Pippi Kitely. We have wonderful Directors on our Board: Christopher Harding, Mandy Yeahpau, Tizianna DellaRovere, and Crystal Woods. Our brilliant Consultant is Donnie Maclurcan. We are open to begin conversations with one or two more director candidates. Males in particular are encouraged to contact us.
VISION: We envision a world, starting with our local community, where Women and all people are safe and free from violence and harassment in all forms.